Dragons player Tristan Sailor allegedly gave his sexual assault victim a sedative in a "predatory and planned" attack before leaving her "discarded" in an "extremely vulnerable state", a court has heard.
During a bail application on Sunday, Wollongong Local Court heard how doxylamine was found in the 24-year-old victim's system after the pair spent the night at Beach Road Hotel in Bondi on October 3 before heading to the woman's home.
Police prosecutor Shannon Ryan described how Mr Sailor, the son of NRL legend Wendell Sailor, allegedly drugged his victim before she was found "unconscious" by a friend.
Mr Ryan said if it wasn't for the "intervention" of her friend the consequences could have been "much more serious".
Five affidavits had already been handed over to police ahead of the bail application, including statements from former Dragons coach Paul McGregor, NRL legend Darren Lockyer and player agent David Riolo.
Mr Sailor's lawyer Richard Pontello SC argued that anyone that night could have administered the drugs to the alleged victim and said that his client believed he had received consent.
Mr Pontello read out a text exchange between Mr Sailor and the alleged victim that he believed outlined his client's innocence.
"What happened last night?" the woman messaged the day after the alleged incident, according to Mr Pontello.
"Sorry I had to go, how are you feeling today?" Mr Sailor responded.
"Tristan I don't remember anything after the Uber to mine, need to know for peace of mind, what happened – did we have sex?' she allegedly replied.
"Sorry I was out. We were playing drinking games and yes we did have sex I asked you and [victim's friend] so everything was sweet. I pulled out and everything so it was sweet," he is alleged to have replied.
Mr Pontello argued that his client "asked how she was feeling" and had only had sex with the alleged victim after obtaining her consent.
Mr Sailor was granted bail by the Registrar Cally D'Arcy, who imposed a number of strict conditions.
Mr Sailor, who lives with his parents in Wollongong, was arrested at their house on Saturday morning. He was charged with alleged aggravated sexual assault and spent the night in police custody.
Police allege Mr Sailor sexually assaulted a 24-year-old woman known to him at a home in Sydney's south on October 3.
The woman sustained injuries as a result of the assault, police say.
"Following extensive inquiries, Strike Force detectives executed a search warrant at a home at Wollongong about 7.40am today [Saturday], where they seized a number of items relevant to the investigation," a police statement said on Saturday.
Mr Sailor was automatically stood down under the NRL's no-fault policy on Sunday, which applies if players are facing charges that carry a maximum penalty of 11 years or more in prison.
"The game has the strongest stance in Australian sport on these matters," NRL chief executive Andrew Abdo said on Saturday.
Mr Sailor was told last month he would not be offered a contract next year with the Dragons under new coach Anthony Griffin and is without a club for 2021. He has made just five appearances for the club across 2019 and 2020 but remains under contract with the Dragons until October 31.
"The club is taking the matter very seriously and will continue to work with Tristan and all relevant authorities," St George Illawarra said in a statement made on Saturday.
Mr Sailor's lawyer Richard Pontello SC represented Panthers player Tyrone May in 2019 after he was charged with four counts of intentionally recording an intimate image without consent.
He will appear in Sutherland Local Court on December 3.
Most Viewed in Sport
Source: Read Full Article